Ten staging tips under $10. Interview with Cathy Hobbs (part 3 of 4)
Baltimore Interior Decorating Examiner
Thank you for joining me once more for tips from Staging professional Cathy Hobbs. Here are her top ten tips!
TEN UNDER TEN – Bringing great design into your home doesn’t have to be expensive. ASID Interior Designer Cathy Hobbs shares the secrets of her “Design Recipes”, affordable design ideas…many under $10.00!
Q1- What are your top 10 tips under $10?
- Interesting decorative pillows made from colorful scarves
- Natural elements like wood chip coins (covered with open glass filled vases, filled with candles or stems)
- Decorating with fruit –fruit placed in long tall vases
- Treasured items placed in shadow boxes
- Framed wallpaper
- Potted succulents instead of plants
- Displaying cut flowers in colored bottles or jars
- Decorating with natural elements like sand, stones, and shells
- Decorating with rope
- Framed pieces of fabric
Q2- What if you had a little more money to spend?
One of my favorite things to do right now is make custom wallpaper. Wallpaper is really making a comeback. What I really love about wallpaper is the texture and durability. You can make your own custom and affordable wallpaper by buying colorful paints and interesting stencils and stenciling directly onto a piece of solid colored wallpaper.
Stay tuned for the last installment when I interview some students at Cathy’s most recent staging class in Columbia Maryland and share some pictures of the class in action staging a local home.